I'm in the process of getting my crossovers recapped and wanted some suggestions on a higher quality wire for the internals and a better sound baffle material if possible.
I'm in the process of getting my crossovers recapped and wanted some suggestions on a higher quality wire for the internals and a better sound baffle material if possible.

You may get a lot of different suggestions on wire. My opinion, the lengths involved are so short any good wire will work.
Caps are a bit different. Different brands of good caps will sound VERY subtly different. I have had good luck with Dayton and Solen.
The first place to improve a system is the source, be it phono or other. Then the electronics. Then little details.
A set of ten thousand dollar caps would not make a bad phono cartridge sound good. Or a bad amp either.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
I recapped my Model 14's with Solen caps and the speakers definitely sound better than they did with the 30+ year old stock caps. I left the original wire as it was in good condition and as Old Guy says for the short lengths in those speakers the stock wire is more than good enough. There is a thread on my recap here in this forum....
Being of "Sound" Mind

Wires...hmm last on the list.
1. source and amp gear
2. Diaphragms and voice coils
3. caps in the crossover
4. room treatment(s)
5 and lower: aesthetics like wiring and cabinet polish![]()
- Mike
Bookmarks